This week's guest blog is from Kate Percy at Go Faster Food giving us a ideal pasta recipe for fueling your upcoming training session or big race.
Go Faster Rigatoni with Butternut Squash, Pancetta & Thyme
It’s best to avoid anything too heavy or spicy the night before a race or big training session. Comforting and light on the stomach, this delicious and highly nutritious pasta dish is one of our favourite fuel-up meals at Go Faster Food. Packed with sustaining carbohydrate, protein, vitamin C, iron, potassium and omega-3’s, it will boost the immune system and supercharge your performance!
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 20 mins
Ingredients to serve 4
1. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add the butternut squash and cook until very tender.
2. Drain and set aside.
3. Meanwhile bring another large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the rigatoni according to pack instructions until al dente.
4. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and very gently sauté the garlic for a few minutes until soft. Remove the garlic and add to the butternut squash.
5. Add the pancetta to the frying pan and cook until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and rest on some kitchen paper to soak up any excess fat.
6. Keep the heat very gentle and add the butternut squash and garlic to the frying pan, then the thyme, the crème fraiche and a little freshly ground black pepper. Mash it all up with a fork until you have a creamy mash.
7. When the rigatoni is cooked, drain it, reserving a good ladleful of the cooking water and then add the pasta and the cooking water to the butternut squash sauce. Stir it all together and then serve on warmed pasta dishes with 2 slices of pancetta laid on top of each serving, a few more sprinklings of fresh thyme and some grated parmesan.
Nutrition per serving
Energy (kcal) 545 Protein (g) 22
Carbohydrate (g) 97 Fat (g) 12.8
Of which sugars (g) 8 Of which saturates (g) 4
Salt (g) 0.9 Fibre (g) 74
This recipe is from Kate Percy’s latest book, Go Faster Food for Kids: delicious food to fuel sporty kids and their families. For more information, and to sign up for a #GoFasterFriday weekly training recipe, check out www.gofasterfood.com or amazon.co.uk
|Numeric Age Guide||7-8||9-10||11-12||13+|